lmi

Re: [lmi] tasks 2007: bug 104480: input-sequence editor

From: Evgeniy Tarassov
Subject: Re: [lmi] tasks 2007: bug 104480: input-sequence editor
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:00:54 +0100

On 2/23/07, Greg Chicares <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2007-2-23 13:08 UTC, Evgeniy Tarassov wrote:

saying that ms 'excel' has an 'untutored' interface for mouse
users that differs from its keyboard interface; I was never even
aware of that, though I've used that application extensively.

The little pushbuttons in 'excel' you described in the original
message are in no-way accessible by keyboard navigation. Which means
that the only way for a user without a mouse to enter a value in such
a field is to use the raw method. And this disables the whole range of
UI features of office for mouseless users, which is unreasonable in
this case IMHO. Anyway, its a whole another story of UI accessibility.

> Something like:
[...]
Clever, but perhaps a little too complicated. We might find

When i was writing it I was thinking the same thing myself -- click vs
double-click for a text control doing different things is somewhat
fancy behaviour for a desktop application.

I can't make a better case for it than I already have by noting
that a popular spreadsheet program uses it in more than one
place--and that it could be beneficial in other cases like
[...]
so this might be more generally useful than it at first seems.
But that is for the wx maintainers to decide.

Oh, i have not realized that there are so many examples of such a text
field paired with a button.