lmi

[lmi] Choreographing our work

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: [lmi] Choreographing our work
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 18:04:17 +0000

Evgeniy and Vadim--Because you're doing so much, we ought to
discuss who's planning to do what, so that we don't step on each
others' toes.

I was thinking I'd continue to work on what was originally
'libxmlpp_branch' and is now part of 'gnome-xml-branch'--the part
that excludes the calculation summary. I've been working on this
simultaneously in that branch and in a local copy of HEAD. This
probably keeps me out of your way as much as possible, because I
think you're mainly refining the calculation summary. It's also
educational: I'm finding answers to questions I had always
wondered about when working with xmlwrapp.

My hope is to refactor all use of xmlwrapp in HEAD (and parallel
code in the branch), so that HEAD and branch will converge quite
closely, making the ultimate merge simple and, most of all, safe
and reliable. I think that abstracting an xml document class and
an element iterator is almost all that's left.

I'm guessing that it makes more sense to share that conceptual
plan with you than to ask for exclusive ownership of some set of
files for some period of time. If we're doing disjoint tasks, it
shouldn't matter much that they affect the same files. I imagine
the most important thing is to make sure we aren't designing
similar things in conflicting ways. But you have more experience
at this than I do, so let me know if some other discipline would
be better.

I'll routinely take at least a casual look at each change anyone
commits, right away, of course. BTW, thanks for the latest ones:
they look really nice. I and others here are also looking at the
calculation summary too, and will continue to offer comments on
that--I'm not ignoring it by any means, just not participating
actively in its actual development.