help-gnu-emacs post from address@hidden requires approval

From: help-gnu-emacs-owner
Subject: help-gnu-emacs post from address@hidden requires approval
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:40:20 -0400

    List:    address@hidden
    From:    address@hidden
    Subject: Gnu emacs under Windows: .emacs and _emacs and savehist

    http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admindb/help-gnu-emacs

to approve or deny the request.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Gnu emacs under Windows: .emacs and _emacs and savehist Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 00:04:33 -0400 User-agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.4 (Windows/20070604) I've installed a binary version of Gnu Emacs under Windows (specifically,t he latest Gnu Emacs + AUCTeX bundle) directly under Windows -- NOT under Cygwin -- and inserted the usual code into _emacs to activate savehist:

  (require `savehist)
  (setq savehist-file "~/.emacs/history")
  (setq savehist-length 1000)
  (savehist-load)

But I don't seem to see any difference now, either when I exit emacs or when I start it again. In fact, I'm not even certain that emacs is processing the _emacs file.

Part of the problem may be the name, _emacs, of the initialization file: Originally, the file was named .emacs and placed inside my home directory. But then I realized that savehist wants to save the history to a subdirectory .emacs of my home directory, and of course it's impossible to have both a directory and another file of the same name in the same directory. Which is why I renamed the file from .emacs to _emacs (which I thought was OK).

Before I did that renaming, at least when I tried to quit emacs I saw a message that emacs was trying to save the history but could not find subdirectory .emacs of my home directory (because, of course, at that point, there was none).

So obviously I'm very confused.  Can you help me straighten this out?
--
Murray Eisenberg                     address@hidden
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Subject: confirm b44515c7d25c604126a5e5d0af4c3fe43391d603