help-gnu-emacs post from address@hidden requires approval

From: help-gnu-emacs-owner
Subject: help-gnu-emacs post from address@hidden requires approval
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 06:14:21 -0400

    List:    address@hidden
    From:    address@hidden
    Subject: Re: "From: address is not valid." when sending mail

    http://lists.gnu.org/mailman/admindb/help-gnu-emacs

to approve or deny the request.
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: "From: address is not valid." when sending mail Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 12:13:33 +0200 User-agent: Gnus/5.110007 (No Gnus v0.7) Emacs/22.1.50 (gnu/linux)
On Sat, Jun 30 2007, levander wrote:

> I'm not sure why we don't have better documentation for emacs.

Because nobody contributed better documentation.

> From rummaging around the info docs for a couple of hours I found
> out that in gnus, the email address you set for an account overrides
> some user- email-address variable.  Simply trying setting that
> user-email-address on a whim, it turns out that that is where
> smtpmail gets the value from to set in that "MAIL FROM" command
> above.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think user-email-address even
> shows up in the smtpmail documentation.  I couldn't find it.

I guess you meant `user-mail-address'.  When using Gnus, you should
refer to it's documentation as well.  The Message manual (Gnus' mail
mode) includes:

,----[ (info "(message)Mail Variables") ]
| `message-sendmail-envelope-from'
|      When `message-sendmail-f-is-evil' is `nil', this specifies the
|      address to use in the SMTP envelope.  If it is `nil', use
|      `user-mail-address'.  If it is the symbol `header', use the `From'
|      header of the message.
`----

You can find this via index search `i From RET , , , ,' (`i' =
`Info-index', `,' = `Info-index-next').

But I agree that it would be useful if the smtpmail documentation
would also include something about the envelope From because it seem
to be a frequent problem.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

--- Begin Message --- Subject: confirm 4523fd4afe3aafb29e0a271591bd56966f85acc2