[Linphone-users] call recording experience report

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: [Linphone-users] call recording experience report
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2021 14:49:00 -0400

I have an answering machine, and I want to make a recording of the
outgoing message.  I have the machine on a FXS port, and tried to call
it from linphone on a mac, with both the ATA and linphone connected to
asterisk.  I am using linphone 4.2.5 with core 4.4.19.

While there's a record button, it only appears when the call is
answered, and I want the whole message.  So there's a bug that one can't
see and push the button even before dialing.

I then found the 'record always' preference, and made a call to the
machine.  I didn't get any clues that it was being recorded, but looking
for all files with recent modtimes found:

~/Documents/linphone/captures/2021-06-19_13-23-40_accountname_extension.mkv

That was an unfamiliar extensions, so:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matroska

and that's philosophically great, but a lot of complexity for what could
be just a single audio file.  I started to build mkvtoolnix, but it
seems to take hours, and audacity worked, so I stopped.

So this is only sort of a bug report, but through it might be helpful to
people dealing with trying to record.