[Linphone-users] Building linphone-desktop without linphone-sdk

From: Dennis Filder
Subject: [Linphone-users] Building linphone-desktop without linphone-sdk
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2021 21:52:54 +0100

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 07:33:05PM +0000, Raghav Gururajan via Linphone-users
wrote:

> I see. I am actually packaging it for Guix (https://guix.gnu.org). I
> have already packaged v4.1.1
> (https://guix.gnu.org/en/packages/linphoneqt-4.1.1/) and now
> upgrading it to v4.2.5.
>
> Thanks for the pointer to Debian repo. I'll have a look.

Great to hear.  OpenSuse is on 4.1.  The Archies used to package it,
too, but haven't in some time.  Maybe we can reactivate their attempt
and combine efforts (e.g. maintain common tarball branches).  Parabola
Linux packages a recent, but very barebones version, too.

Looking at linphone.scm tells me that you have a lot of work ahead:

* tarballs are no longer offered for many components, so you'll have
  to create them by hand.  In Debian we use git-buildpackage, so maybe
  you can use our .orig tarballs.

* you absolutely need soci (with a patch[1] and built with C++11
  support), otherwise linphone will not store instant messages.

* for some components the build scripts try to call "git describe" to
  generate the version strings.  We configured with
  -DGIT_EXECUTABLE=/path/to/shellscript.sh that just prints the
  version in the changelog, and that works for us.

If you actually pull through, please take notes of what broke how and
how you fixed it.  Debian is currently in the Bullseye freeze
(probably till June), and we'll resume packaging newer versions not
long before that ends.  Also our current version is in somewhat rough
shape since the main maintainer had to do it alone and we ran out of
time.

> Does linphone project have an IRC channel?

No idea.

Good luck,
Dennis.

1: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=984534