Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 4.2.3 starting issue on MacOs 10.12.6

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Linphone 4.2.3 starting issue on MacOs 10.12.6
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2021 10:13:00 -0500

Peio Rigaux <peio.rigaux@belledonne-communications.com> writes:

> Could you please try to install the latest version of Linphone to see if
> your issue is fixed ? The 4.2.5 version
> <https://linphone.org/releases/macosx/app/> is available.

Note that at

https://new.linphone.org/technical-corner/linphone?qt-technical_corner=2#qt-technical_corner
it is still offering 4.2.4 for download.

On an early 2011 MacBookPro running 10.13, I upgraded older Linphone
(4.2.1) to 4.2.4 and then 4.2.5.

On both, I got a warning about "downloaded from internet; open anyway?".

On both, I got a login failure on startup (I have two configured
accounts), but both accounts show logged in.

> If it still doesn't work, it might be related to your "old" device.

10.12 no longer gets security or others updates.  10.13 should be
available for your hardware, so if it were my box I would update it.

> I do not know how code signing works for Apple devices, so I think that
> I can't help you, but I can eventually ask my colleagues.

In macOS security settings, General, there is "allow apps from appstore
only, or appstore and identified devleopers".  I am pretty sure that
when I first installed linphone i had to click allow in that settings
for it.

I wonder what the target SDK level is for the build.  In macOS, one sets
an SDK level and then the binary will only use interfaces available in
that release, which are also provided by newer ones.  Picking 10.13
would be reasonable as older versions have had no security support for a
long time.  The other reasonable choice would be 10.11 as there is
working hardware stuck on 10.11.  In my view anything earlier than 10.11
is retrocomputing :-)   Looking with "otool -l", it seems to be 10.9
(which is fine as long as it doesn't hurt 10.13+ users).   So that's not
it.

So it works ok on 10.13.  (I'm pretty sure the login failure bug is a
separate issue.)