Re: [Linphone-users] Errors in linphone after installation

From: ael
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Errors in linphone after installation
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2020 21:29:31 +0100

On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 08:08:26PM +0200, Filippo Lombardo wrote:

> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ dpkg -S $(which dring)
> dpkg-query: error: --search needs at least one file name pattern argument
>
> Use --help for help about querying packages.
> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$
> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ which dring
> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$
>
> And it seems that dring is not on the system, but I discovered why
>
> filippo@ThinkPad-R61:~$ ps -efa | grep -i dring
> filippo   8725  1430  3 19:59 ?        00:00:00 /usr/lib/ring/dring

OK. But then
  dpkg -S /usr/lib/ring/dring
 ought to tell you which package is responsible.

If nothing comes up, it is presumably something local or manual. But it
sounds as if you have this software on your system without your
knowledge or permission. So I would suggest that you investigate that
and clean it out unless you realise that it is something that you want
and had forgotten.

> Actually the path to dring is not in the PATH variable, so it doesn't appear
> with which.
>
> I tried to kill the process but it restarts immediately.

You are probably suffering from SystemD.

> I don't know which port I could give to linphone; that's I don't know how to
> check the available ports on the system

I am very rusty on that. I think the specification is in various RFCs.
I think the main sip rfc is rfc3261, but perhaps that is out of date.
(https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3261)

I am pretty sure that you can use 5062,4,6,8.... My own linphone (which
runs with other sip devices and programmes here) is set to use 5080.
So I think you can use any free port in the range 5060-5080 at least.

You might also possibly need to change the RTP UTP ports for audio &
video, again if there is a clash, but I think that is less likely.
This is all under Options->Prefences->Network settings.

ael

> Could you please give me a hint ?
>
> I know I could use lsof to check which process is using which port but I do
> not know how to do to check for free ports
netstat already told you that dring was using 5060 without your
permission.