Re: [Linphone-users] TLS

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] TLS
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 10:06:41 -0400

Thomas Morzadec <address@hidden> writes:

> My linphone works but sometimes the audio quality is poor. I have read here
> https://wiki.linphone.org/xwiki/wiki/public/view/Linphone/Good%20practices%20for%20using%20SIP/
>
> that it is preferable to use TLS. Is it going to improve the quality?

No.  TLS is a way to protect the signalling channel, to provide
encryption of contents (especially passwords) and to ensure the client
that it is connecting to the right server.

So all signaling should be over TLS, but you the client can only do that
if your server supports it.

> Moreover, I didn't know anything about TLS, but it is explained here
> https://wiki.linphone.org/xwiki/wiki/public/view/Linphone/TLS%20client%20authentication/
>
> However, it is written I should get a certificate CSR.
> But who is going to give it?

That is only if your SIP registrar/proxy requires you to autenticate
with a certificate.  Other than perhaps in large companies, this is
unusual, and if this is true your IT department will be telling you what
you have to do.

> Could you please indicate where I could know more about TLS/CSR for
> linphone, because I don't like to copy/paste without understanding. It
> seems to risky...

It's not really about linphone.

Take this with a slight grain of salt:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Initiation_Protocol

Note that this is all about signaling; encryption of media (call
contents) is done via SRTP or ZRTP.