Re: [Linphone-users] I hate zoom

From: John White
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] I hate zoom
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 10:55:17 -0700

Thanks Greg,

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020 10:20:45 AM PDT Greg Troxel wrote:

> John White <address@hidden> writes:

> > So I have tried Jitsi on my linux system without success. It simply

> > doesn't work. Has

> Do you mean Jitsi the SIP app, or Jitsi Meet the web videoconferencing

> client?

Jitsi sip

> (Off topic here but it's not really going to get you any help to say:

> "doesn't work", without giving details of your setup and describing what

> happens.)

A while back, after hours of frustration, I gave up on jitsi sip and am no longer trying to get it to work.

> > anyone used jitsi meet or jitsi videobridge?

> A ham radio club had about 15 people on Jitsi Meet via meet.jit.si, and

> it mostly worked, modulo congestion. I am pretty sure that at least

> one of the people was on Linux.

> > No criticism of Zoom is intended, as it works well on linux right

> > now.

> If by "works" you do not have any security or privacy expectations!

> That is a common problem in how people that do not understand define

> "works".

That is one reason I am looking for alternatives. However, some courts are using zoom so its probably not as bad as the security folks make it out to be.

> If anyone has self-hosted ways to do multiparty videoconferencing with

> SIP so that linphone works as a client, please speak up!

I was one of the original users of linphone and used it for years, but it became too buggy and linux support has been truncated. So though I would love to use it (if for no other reason than its great address capability) I have sadly abandoned linphone. I went back to using video-less Twinkle several months ago and it works perfectly with diamondcard.us (sip). I use it constantly.

John