Re: [Linphone-users] Bug: Invalid IPv6 address in SIP message parser (vi

From: Stuart D Gathman
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Bug: Invalid IPv6 address in SIP message parser (via attribute)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2020 20:47:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 6 Apr 2020, Waishon wrote:

I'm currently trying to connect to a SIP server using IPv6, which fails.

Linphone fails to decode the IPv6 address sent back in the Via header of the
401 Unauthorized reply (after first REGISTER request). The IPv6 is in the
"URL encoded" format with squared brackets: [2000:abc::1]:5060. There seems
to be an issue in theĀ
protocol definition where an IPv6 address isn't allowed to contain squared
brackets.

That's discouraging for me as I try to upgrade from 3.6.1.  I am using
linphone in a fully decentralized mode which depends on square brackets
for sip addresses:

user@sip:[fc0a:4e5d:2db0:da11:f5ca:4909:a827:bc64]

The bug in 3.6.1 is that it will ignore your explicit public IP6 in the
config, and use a random public IP6.  It apparently thinks the user
couldn't *possibly* really mean to use a public IP in fc00::/8,
which is reserved for private IPs.  But, a private IP space is *exactly*
when you need to explicity provide the "public IP".  (The workaround
is to disable all public IP6 during the linphone call - rather ugly.)