Re: [Linphone-users] Command line to type to install Linphone 4.1.1 on L

From: Iain Mott
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Command line to type to install Linphone 4.1.1 on Linux Mint
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2020 08:24:19 -0300

Hi Alain,

The Linux Mint install is, as you know, 3.6.1, or something like that. I also use Linux Mint. I could install 4.1.1  using flatpak but in the end opted to build linphone-desktop. The flatpack method was slightly different than what is described on Linphone tech info page. There may be some dependencies to install (i didn't note everything down) but here are the steps that i took:

install flatpack with:

sudo apt-get install flatpak

then:

flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
flatpak --user install --from https://linphone.org/flatpak/linphone.flatpakref

You can then run Linphone via the Mint menu. Checking the properties of the launcher, you can run linphone/linphonec/linphonecsh/linphone-daemon via the command line with lines such as:

flatpak run --branch=4.1.1 --arch=x86_64 --command=linphone --file-forwarding com.belledonnecommunications.linphone

flatpak run --branch=4.1.1 --arch=x86_64 --command=linphonec --file-forwarding com.belledonnecommunications.linphone

get help

flatpak run --branch=4.1.1 --arch=x86_64 --command=linphone --file-forwarding com.belledonnecommunications.linphone --help

I had never used flatpack before. I you haven't either, be aware that it is separated from your standard file system and saves it's binaries/data/config files, etc. in locations such as ~/.var/app , ~/.config/linphone/ , ~/.local/share/flatpak/app

perhaps other places....

In the end, with the help of Giang on this list, I did the following to build 4.1.1 - and quoting Giang:

>Regarding the building of linphone, I clone their repo:
>git clone https://gitlab.linphone.org/BC/public/linphone-desktop.git --recursive

>and follow the README.md:
>https://gitlab.linphone.org/BC/public/linphone-desktop

>Make sure you have Qt5 (You can register an free account from https://qt.io and continue with the >Online Installer.) installed. Then the Qt package should be in your home directory so you can set the >right Qt5_DIR and PATH environment variables.
>Also don't forget about other dependencies, quite many of them :)

As well as the big list of Linux dependencies listed in the README, I also needed to install with sudo apt-get install, the following:

qtcontrols2-5-dev
qml-module-qtquick-dialogs
qml-module-qtquick-controls
qml-module-qtquick-controls2 (perhaps previous wasn't necessary)
qml-module-qtquick-layouts
qml-module-qtquick-window2
qml-module-qt-labs-platform

Once you do the config and build steps in the README, and assuming you created a build directory called "build" and cloned the repo in your home directory, the Linphone binaries can be found here:

~/linphone-desktop/build/OUTPUT/bin/

Good luck!

Iain