Re: [Linphone-users] Registration to public server no longer working?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Registration to public server no longer working?
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2019 19:46:16 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> I'm not sure where to ask this but couldn't find a more suitable
> place... I realize this list is intended to be about the app but I could
> not find anywhere to ask about the free server that is also offered.
>
> Has there been some change in how devices should do registration to the
> sip.linphone.org server? There are 3 different accounts on 3 different
> androids that all used to register and send/receive texts just fine, but
> no longer do so. I'm not sure exactly when it stopped working since the
> devices sat unused for some time. The accounts are still working in
> terms of login to the web portal so it is not an account problem. But
> the devices no longer register, they get "Error while registering -
> Unauthorized".
>
> All 3 devices are using CSipSimple, is there some setting I need to
> change to make this work again?

In the past similar questions have been asked and I do not recall seeing
satisfying answers.  I am not sure there are good reasons to consider
sip.linphone.org maintained or reliable, but I would be happy to hear
from someone at belladone that it is actively maintained.

In some of the previous problems, the issues seem to relate to the
service having SRV records to point to unusual ports (vs UDP 5060, TCP
5060 and TCP 5061).  A peek into DNS reveals:

  _sip._udp.sip.linphone.org. 3600 IN   SRV     0 100 5060 sip6.linphone.org.
  _sip._udp.sip.linphone.org. 3600 IN   SRV     10 100 5060 sip1.linphone.org.

  _sip._tcp.sip.linphone.org. 3600 IN   SRV     0 100 5228 sip6.linphone.org.
  _sip._tcp.sip.linphone.org. 3600 IN   SRV     10 100 5228 sip1.linphone.org.

  _sips._tcp.sip.linphone.org. 3600 IN  SRV     0 100 5223 sip6.linphone.org.
  _sips._tcp.sip.linphone.org. 3600 IN  SRV     10 100 5223 sip1.linphone.org.
  _sips._tcp.sip.linphone.org. 3600 IN  SRV     20 100 443 sip6.linphone.org.

You say you are using CSipSimple, but my impression is that CSipSimple
is really unmaintained.   When was the last release?  If the
documentation is not clear, you might file a bug asking for a doc
clarification on whether or not the SRV scheme is supported.  If
CSipSimple is unmaintained, then I don't understand a decision to use
it.

You might try the linphone app or baresip-studio:
  https://github.com/juha-h/baresip-studio/

baresip-studio is in f-droid.