Re: [Linphone-users] minimal flexisip proxy configuration?

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] minimal flexisip proxy configuration?
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2019 11:41:20 -0400

"Brian J. Murrell" <address@hidden> writes:

> Because currently most PBXes (Asterisk included) have no concept of
> transient/mobile devices that will sleep and disconnect themselves from
> the network and need a "push" to be woken up before they will be ready
> to receive an INVITE.

Thanks for the explanation and discussion.  I am guessing then that
fromt he point of view of Asterisk the user just registers once, and
when the user goes actually offline bug logically online the connection
to asterisk, including registration keepalives, continues, and the proxy
is then responsible for buffering the INVITE and waking up the client.

> I don't think that's particularly true, particularly if you consider
> that "SIP server" and "SIP proxy" are pretty much the same thing, as I
> understand it.  So many people referring to SIP proxies are just
> talking about PBXes through which they bridge SIP clients rather than
> having the SIP clients talk to each other directly.

That is part of why it is confusing, that people and programs talk of
configuring a "sip proxy" into their client, rather than "server" which
might or might not be a proxy.

> I'm not sure I see where the "remote nginx front end" is in the:
>
> mobile_phone <-> flexisip <-> PBX
>
> analogy.

It's flexisip; you can run a web server as a "reverse proxy" fronting a
web server, as opposed to a near-the-user squid which is a "(forward)
proxy".

As I understand it, "sip proxy" is usually near the server, but could
also be near the client for firewall traversal.