Re: [Linphone-users] Common sources of errors

From: Kentaro YAMAMOTO
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Common sources of errors
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 17:13:02 +0900

At Sat, 3 Nov 2018 19:47:23 -0400 (EDT),
Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Nov 2018, Kentaro YAMAMOTO wrote:
>
> > Is there a list of common source of errors or a recommended set of
> > configuration for the use of Linphone between hosts that are behind
> > NATs?
>
> If you are on smartphones, then things are much more restrictive, but
> any kind of VPN that you are both on should allow you to call each
> other directly with linphone (even an IP4 VPN).  Using IP address
> instead of phone numbers is no big deal, since you just add it to your
> phone book.

My wife indeed uses linphone on an iPhone (and her laptop behind a
NAT).  Your idea of using a VPN (or a global IP address) never
occurred to me, and I appreciate it.  Being unfamiliar with VPNs, I
wonder if setting up a VPN on a smartphone (or behind a NAT) is easier
than getting linphone to work behind NATs.

--
Kentaro YAMAMOTO <address@hidden>