Re: [Linphone-users] Cannot get SIP to work. Windows 10

From: Stuart Gathman
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Cannot get SIP to work. Windows 10
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 22:24:17 -0400

On 08/18/2018 09:43 PM, Russell Treleaven wrote:
or an account with any provider?

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 7:51 PM, Russell Treleaven <address@hidden> wrote:
Did you configure a linphone account?
At least on linux, linphone does not need an account.  I use it for peer to peer sip calls using IPv6 (and Cjdns for stable IP and encryption).  The OP was attempting to use a peer to peer connection via IP4.

Potential problems:

1) the normal IP4 syntax is sip:address@hidden.  For IPv6, it is sip:address@hidden:db8:1234:5678::90].  I've never tried leaving out the user as the OP did (and I haven't used IPv4 in 15 years).  (Note that the address book works just fine for storing raw ips of contacts ready to dial.)

2) Using peer to peer IP4 is *very* problematic unless you have a public IP.  NAT is very complex to work around for SIP.  The solutions offered by linphone (like STUN) all involve a public server.   If you want to do peer to peer SIP, I would give up on IP4.  You need IP6.

3) On 3.6.1, I need to turn off "guess_hostname" and set contact to my peer to peer sip url by editing ~/.linphonerc.  Linphone tends to guess wrong for peer to peer use.

4) Windows is very wonky on networking - it may be preventing peer to peer operation in some way, and the operative assumption is that Windows users do most things through centralized services.