Re: [Linphone-users] Problem with app for IOS

From: Juha Heinanen
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Problem with app for IOS
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2018 17:53:19 +0300

Daniel-Constantin Mierla writes:

> So, for someone that uses its own sip server and wants to get push
> notifications on linphone, they have to:
>
>   - register as a developer to apple/google and obtain a developer
> (crypto) certificate
>   - build linphone by themselves (likely will require a different app
> name) and sign the app with their developer certificate
>   - deploy the custom linphone built app to the apple/google store
>   - get their sip users use the custom linphone app

Sounds really complicated and unpractical.

> This app should have some configuration mechanism that would allow to
> specify the apps to be waken up based on push notification payload. My
> doubt about being possible or not is more about the ability of those
> extra apps to be waken up by another app and behave as expected, so
> maybe those apps would also need a local "push notification"
> interface.

There is no need for push notifications at least in Android SIP
clients.  I got fed up with Linphone requiring them and wrote Baresip
based Android app that works fine without push.

The trick was to start Baresip from background service that is
re-started automatically if is killed due to lack of resources in some
lower end devices.  Currently my app registers every 12 minutes and
consumes way less than 10% of battery resources.

-- Juha