[Linphone-users] Linphone does not work out of the box (for me)

From: jeff stern
Subject: [Linphone-users] Linphone does not work out of the box (for me)
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 00:31:56 -0700

Hi, I am on Debian 9 ("Stretch") and installed Linphone 4.0 using flatpak.

My friend has an Android phone. (Samsung Galaxy Tab 4, 7") running Android 4.4.2.  We installed the latest Linphone on his phone.

We both created linphone.org sip accounts.

Messaging back and forth is fine, and pretty quick, with good notifications.

Calling/talking/voice, however, is useless.  We either cannot hear each other, or if we do, it is 15-20 seconds later, and only even then, just fragments/shards.  Nothing usable.

(I really want Linphone to work. Believe me, I do.  But every few years I have checked in on Linphone.  Always it is the same thing, regardless of what devices used. New interface, crappy or unusable sound.  So disappointing.)

I normally would just abandon any software that does not work "out of the box", and move on.  But, because I am desperate to find *something* to replace Skype (and Tox has also failed miserably, and Signal IS great, but only works on phones -- even their alpha Chromium plug-in requires a phone number: deal-breaker).

By the way, our internet connection is fiber optic, with 150MBit/sec.  And, in this case, both the Linux box and the phone are in the same house, with the phone using wifi, not mobile data.

Is it a problem with sip.linphone.org, and we should use a faster sip provider?  Or is it still a problem with one or other of the apps?

Please let me know if there are any other details I can provide. Thank you

JS