Re: [Linphone-users] linphone don't detect sound card

From: Jeremie Juste
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] linphone don't detect sound card
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2016 12:10:42 +0100

J G Miller <address@hidden> writes:

> At 05:32h, on Thursday, October 27, 2016,
> in message <address@hidden>,
> on the subject of "[Linphone-users] linphone don't detect sound card",
> Jérémie Juste wrote -
>
>  > I've compiled the last linphone: Linphone version 3.10.2-380-g7fb33e2.
>
> On which platform / operating system?
>
> If you do not state which, the readers of your message remain clueless
> as to your system.
>
>  > But it does not detect my sound card.
>
> In general, applications should never need to detect sound cards,
> and even if they could, the kernel would/should not let them directly
> access them.
>
> But which sound card do you in fact have installed on your system?
>
> If you do not state which, the readers of your message remain clueless
> as to your sound card properties.
>
>  > How can I guide it?
>
> With care and due diligence.
>
>  > It guess this is the culprit.
>
> Unless you are compiling on a BSD system, you guessed wrong.
>
> More importantly
>
>  > checking alsa/asoundlib.h usability... yes
>  > checking alsa/asoundlib.h presence... yes
>  > checking for alsa/asoundlib.h... yes
>  > checking for snd_pcm_open in -lasound... yes
>
> so you have the the approriate header files and library files
> for ALSA (advanced Linux sound system)
>
>  > checking for LIBPULSE... no
>
> If your system is setup to use PulseAudio, then you are not going
> to hear anything via PulseAudio because you do not have the pulseaudio
> header files installed (pulseaudio development package) to be compiled
> into the mediastreamer library and thus be available for the linphone
> application to use.

Many thanks for taking the time to answer. I guess I was too tired to
give a more detailed explanation. From on I won't post to the mailing
list if I'm not in a position to give a detailed explanation.

To be brief you were right about LIBPULSE.
And I'm on a Trisquel GNU/Linux 7.0, Belenos

Best wishes,
Jeremie