[Linphone-users] How to promote the use of Linphone?

From: David
Subject: [Linphone-users] How to promote the use of Linphone?
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 17:40:08 +0000

I'm just wondering whether there is any kind of strategy in place to promote the use of Linphone, in place of other VoIP/videocalling systems, which often have problems such as limited platform availability, less security/privacy, advertising, using non-open standards, etc?

Depending on the social circles that you move in, many of your friends might not be very technically-minded, and so might not have much interest to switch from closed systems that they might have already become familiar with (although with gradually increasing awareness of privacy issues and irritation about internet advertising, perhaps there may be some more possibility for encouraging change). Any communications technology, from telephones to email to any number of closed systems, lives or dies on its own "network effect" by building up a sizable user base and then continuing to expand it through word of mouth or media coverage.

I wonder whether the name Linphone perhaps doesn't help in itself. The name itself is obviously based on the word Linux, and although Linux distros are absolutely fantastically useful systems (I don't need to evangelise here, I'm sure), any "non-techie person" who hears the name may perhaps be put off as they might (still, even now) get the impression that anything Linux-related may be complicated and difficult and so not worth experimenting with?

Given that Linphone seems to be, as far as I am aware, the most multi-platform internet phone (including, very importantly, mobile OSes), does it perhaps need a more neutral and inclusive-sounding name (that doesn't relate to any particular OS)? The fact that Linphone is very multi-platform really ought to be a huge selling point! So many of the competing systems have limited platform availability.

Does there also perhaps need to be some further 'polishing' work on some of the Linphone clients? For example, although the iPhone client looks quite professional, the OS X client doesn't feel very native, and so may be off-putting to some who might otherwise want to give it a try. Might there be scope for crowdfunding some improvements? This also often seems to be a good way to raise awareness of projects in general.

Also, have the Linphone developers tried to engage with technical journalists in the mainstream media to feature Linphone where appropriate? For example, in the UK, the BBC has a weekly TV programme "Click" which covers internet-related technology and I think is reasonably popular. I am sure there are similar programmes in other countries as well.

It possibly also pains me to say it, but does Linphone have a presence on Facebook and Twitter, etc? We might not like how these have become the predominant social networks, but part of the reason they have achieved this is by organic network growth and by strong marketing, the things that Linphone perhaps also needs, otherwise people will continue to use internet phone platforms that they already know about and that their friends already use?

I hope this maybe inspires some useful thoughts, keep up the good work!

David.