[Linphone-users] Linphonec without sound card

From: RIco Honore
Subject: [Linphone-users] Linphonec without sound card
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 04:49:10 -0700 (PDT)

  Hello

  I have quite an unusual need concerning Linphone. We're building a system, in which two SIP-clients will need to both call a Linphone SIP-server, whom will then setup a conference call between the three parties. This Linphone-server runs linphonec in a virtual Debian Linux-server, completely without sound card. There's absolutely no need for the server to be able to output or input voice, just pass audio between the SIP-clients.

  When I start linphonec I see lots of error messages regarding missing soundcard, such as:

ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4241:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory

  It does run, however, but I cannot receive a call. What happens if I make call to the server, is that I can see incoming call, but linphonec freezes and I cannot type answer to answer the call. The other end just times out eventually.

  My question is, is this setup even possible, and if so, what needs to be done? Can I run linphonec completely without sound card, so that it still can connect two incoming calls in a conference with audio available to clients?

  What I've tried so far:

  -Compile Linphone with "--disable-alsa" parameter. I figured since I get a lot of errors when I start linphonec, I need to get rid of Alsa soundcard dependency altogether. This did not work though, still cannot receive call.

  -Use "soundcard use files" and "soundcard use 1" (which is pulseaudio) options. No change, still cannot receive a call.