[Linphone-users] Encryption in Android version of Linphone

From: pinguin74
Subject: [Linphone-users] Encryption in Android version of Linphone
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 09:22:50 +0200

Hello list,

I found some interesting words in your FAQ:

"Due to new restrictions in Google Play and Appstore policy for
application submissions, we have been constrained to temporary remove
all encryption features from the published applications. Re-enabling
them requires getting authorization from US and France government
agencies, which might take some time."

This means, Linphone cannot provide safe encryption over the Play Store.

What does this generally mean for encryption in Android apps, available
at the Play Store?

Does Google forbid to provide strong encryption over the Play Store?

Does the US Governement aks for including back doors in Android apps
offered via Play Store? I suppose if it does so, you would not be
allowed to talk about it, right?

It would be nice to get some insight about this issue.

Thank you