Re: [Linphone-users] Error Compiling 3.6.1 with Video Support in Puppy L

From: John White
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Error Compiling 3.6.1 with Video Support in Puppy Linux
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 17:01:43 -0700

Jim Diamond wrote:
On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:08 (-0700), John White wrote:

Jim Diamond wrote:
On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 15:50 (+0100), Oscar Talks wrote:
Hello Everyone,
I am trying to compile the 3.6.1 release tarball in Puppy Linux (I have tried
both the Slackware 14.0 and Debian Wheezy variants) and if I try to
--enable-video I get this error:-
No idea about immature and/or asthmatic Linux distributions, but for
what it's worth I had no problems getting it to compile on Slackware
14.0 (64-bit).
If you are interested in the Slackware version you could let me know
what didn't work for you.  No promises, but I might be able to help.
Jim, I tried slackware 3.6.1 (via slackbuilds.org, 13.37) and other
than crashing when I "enable self view" the problem is that Linphone
takes about a half hour to load (I have over 300 addresses in
linphonerc).  That, being too long, I am still using the old reliable
Twinkle.
So if you have any suggestions, I would appreciate them.   I have
been thinking about taking the phone numbers out of linphonerc and
just collecting all the addresses in a txt file.  Then search the txt
file and past into linphone.  But Twinkle, cumbersome as it is, still
seems easier than doing all that.
John,

I should have looked back at the previous messages in this thread,
since your problem is not so much compiling (on slackware), but
running.

I have not seen any delay starting up linphone, but I have only a few
addresses in linphonerc.

I have no solution, but I have two questions:
(1) Is it safe to assume that you have tried removing most of the
     numbers and observing that linphone starts quickly?
(2) If you have had any luck getting a version on another distro,
     does it also take a long time to start up there?

                                Jim

Thanks Jim,

Yes, Linphone starts reasonably quickly with no names. Even 3.5.2 was sort of slow starting (sometimes two or three minutes), but 3.6.1 takes more time the greater the number of names/phone numbers put into linphonerc. It is unusable with 300 names.

No, I have not tried linphone on anything other than Vector Linux, a slackware based program.

John