Re: [Linphone-users] Query about Linphone configuration, and SIP interop

From: Bret Busby
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Query about Linphone configuration, and SIP interoperability
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 04:04:41 +0800 (WST)

On Thu, 21 Feb 2013, Bret Busby wrote:

Hello.

I have, within the last day, installed Linphone on my computer, running Debian Linux 6.0.x amd64.

The installed version of Linphone, is 3.3.2, being the version stored in the packages repository for the particular version of Debian Linux.

I also have Ekiga installed, and Skype.

I havbe a brother who has an Apple computer (I am not sure of which operating system that he is running on his computer). He has Skype installed, but mostly uses FaceTime, which is only Apple to Apple, and he has told me that it is better quality than Skype.

The web page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_VoIP_software , shows Linphone to run on each of MS Windows, Linux, and Apple Mac OSX, which would, in theory, allow communication between all of the members, who would be interested in communicating using softphone software, of my immediate family, who mostly run MS Windows, apart from me running Linux and my brother using an Apple computer.

Ekiga does not yet run on Apple Mac OSX.

So, I thought that I would try Linphone, and find whether my brother would try it.

On the Ekiga users mailing list, is a discussion about interoperability between different softphone software packages, and it has been said that SIP packages should be able to communicate with each other.

The web page at http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Ekiga_Interoperability , shows that Linphone and Ekiga, should be able to communicate with each other.

I have so far, had two attempts at calling Ekiga destinations from Linphone; the first to a person, and the second to the Ekiga Echo Test Call number; address@hidden .

On both occasions, while the Linphone call history, showed both calls to have been sucessful, I heard no sound from the other end.

So, the first question here, is, is Linphone interoperable with Ekiga; can Linphone and Ekiga, communicate between each other, with voice and/or video?

The second issue is, in setting up the Linphone SIP address, Linphone automatically, with no otherwise option, sets the SIP address as <account_name>@<account_holders_IP_address>, rather than, as Ekiga does, <account_name>@ekiga.net ; <account_name>@<SIP_provider>.

This means that any contact that I would make with anyone, using Linphone, and, any copying and pasting of an entry from my call history, such as

"
Outgoing call at Thu Feb 21 01:01:11 2013