Re: [Linphone-users] Getting Linphone to lookup SRV records in a DNS zon

From: Swinney C.
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Getting Linphone to lookup SRV records in a DNS zone as well as a NAPTR record
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 19:15:44 +0100

Hey all,

I have been trying to read around this and I must say I'm a little confused as
to what exactly the SIP client/server should do when attempting to dial a SIP
URI, and exactly what records need to be added to the relevant DNS zones.

>From what I understand, should a SIP client make a VoIP call to a telephone
>like number (as +44 181 300 4321, then this would resolve to an domain
>something like 1.2.3.4.0.0.3.1.8.1..4.4.e164.arpa, and the lookup will be for
>a NAPTR record in the ARPA zone. The client could then could receive some
>information which transforms the original lookup into as a SIP URN, such as
>sip:address@hidden

A second NAPTR record is then looked up, but at this time it will be in the
domain.com zone. This rule must also apply if the initial call from the SIP
client was made directly to the same SIP URI - correct?

So, if the NAPTR record doesn't exist under the domain.com zone (which do not
appear to be utilised that often), Linphone then resorts to using the zone A
record. Correct?

However, the zone may still have an SRV record which indicates the relevant SIP
service the calling SIP client can use. So why can't Linphone simply try to
lookup the SRV record before falling back to the A record?

So the question still is, is there a way to get Linphone to lookup the zone SRV
record?

After speaking with our DNS guru, they seem to think the NAPTR records are not
in widespread outside of the ARPA zone, and as such will not add these records
to our own managed DNS zone.

Regards,

Chris