Re: [Linphone-users] How to tell linphone which IP address to use

From: Gelonida N
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] How to tell linphone which IP address to use
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 23:05:02 +0100

Hi Koos,

On 02/21/2012 11:52 PM, Koos Pol wrote:
> Op 21-2-2012 22:12, Gelonida N schreef:
>> - ethernet ip 192.168.0.2
>> - wifi 192.168.1.2
>> - VPN 10.8.0.2
>> [...]
>> Is there any way, that I can force linphone to register as 10.8.0.2
>> (basically to determine its IP address on a specific interface and use
>> this one)?
>
> You don't get to choose an IP address. That is a function of the network
> stack.

I'm not sure that I understand.

I have multiple ip addresses on my network stack (one for each
interface) and with the correct API I should be able to retrieve all of
them.
Unfortunately linphone seems to choose the wrong one (the one of the
ethernet interface) to be used within the sip egister request.

> What you can do is setup a route over a certain gateway (the VPN server)
> for a specific host (the registrar). The receiving side (registrar) will
> then notice that the source of the traffic is origination from a
> different IP address.

As the registrar is on 10.8.0.1
and  as the route for 10.8.0.1 is obviously setup to pass via the VPN, I
have no problems connecting to the registrar and call other participants.

It's only, that the RPT streams of the remote side are sent to the IP
address of my ethernet adapter and not to the IP address of my VPN.

So I assume, that linphone sends the 'wrong information' to the
registrar. (sip express rotuer with default configuration)

If I set in  linphonerc
nat_address=10.8.0.2,
then audio and video streams are routed correctly.

however this means I have to establish the VPN query my ip address on
this interface, edit linphonerc and only then I can start linphgone.

Ideally I'd like to have linphone started up all the time and only
establish the VPN on demand.

What is interesting, that with an older version of linphone (I don't
remember anymore which one, but think it was 3.0 or 3.1) the voice video
traffic was routed correctly.