Re: [Linphone-users] How to quit Linphone?

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] How to quit Linphone?
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:26:02 +0100

Hi Felix,

The backtrace shows that linphone is just running normally.
I tried by myself under gnome3 (that I personnaly dislike, I use the gnome3 classic flavor), and I found that the "Quit" menu offered by gnome shell is just equivalent to closing the main window and nothing else. It doesn't quit the application at all. This menu is popupd up automatically by gnome-shell and linphone has no interaction with it.

Linphone uses a standard GtkStatusIcon to be displayed in notification areas, but unfortunately they are not supported by gnome3 (except in classic mode). The worse thing is that gnome3 notification server tells the application that GtkStatusIcon is supported and displayed, which prevents linphone from adding the Quit item from its own menu (which is done for window managers that don't display the status icons).

I feel very angry about all the unnecessary complexity that recently appeared around gnome. There are now too many notification servers, too many ways of managing notifications, and it is very difficult for an application to work smoothly under all configuration. Right now I'm afraid I have no good solution to propose. If somebody here has ideas, they are welcome.