[Linphone-users] no RTP traffic over vpn

From: Konrad Karl
Subject: [Linphone-users] no RTP traffic over vpn
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 00:20:38 +0100

Dear all,

(Linphone 3.5 on Fedora 16 x86_64)

I have two machines on different locations which are connected to the
interet via nat router and adsl. (both machines get DHCP addresses in
the 192.168.1.x range)

Both machines are also connected together using openvpn. The IP
addresses are something like 10.100.0.x on /dev/tunX. The option
to route all traffic over the vpn interface is not set.

When trying to call the other party directly over the vpn without
using a registrar at all like this:  sip:address@hidden
the ringtone rings at the 10.100.0.10 machine but no voice/video
traffic is sent over the vpn - everything goes to the
192.168.1.x default route and is then lost in the wilderness.

I would like that Linphone detects that the destination is reachable
directly via openvpn (the situation is similar to having a second
network card + extra cable) and use the proper  IP source addresses
and interface.

(by using the openvpn "redirect-gateway def1" I can achieve the
desired result but then all other traffic is routed over the vpn too
which I want to avoid)

Konrad