[Linphone-users] configure can't find libv4l2

From: Bent Bagger
Subject: [Linphone-users] configure can't find libv4l2
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 19:57:56 +0200

Hi list

I have been away from the list for a while, so this issue may have been handled recently, although I cannot find anything in the mailing list archives.

I'm in the process of building Linphone 3.4.3 from sources on my openSUSE 11.4 system. The reason for this is that I would like to get h264 support, and that is not supplied with the Linphone package from the Suse repositories.

The configure script for mediastreamer finishes with this discouraging message:

checking for LIBV4L2... no
No libv4l2 found.
checking for LIBV4L1... no
No libv4l1 found.
configure: error:
Missing libv4l2. It is highly recommended to build with
libv4l2 headers and library. Many camera will won't work or will crash
your application if libv4l2 is not installed.
If you know what you are doing, you can use --disable-libv4l to disable
this check.

Since I don't know what I'm doing in this context I would like some advise on how to proceed. Suse's package manager Yast does not show anything other that the library itself - not a devel-package as I would expect.

Does a devel-package for libv4l2 exist, and if so where do I find it?

If not, what then? Should I be brave and disable libv4l? My camera is a UVC type (Logitech C 950)

/Bent