Re: [Linphone-users] One-Way Audio Issues

From: Jim Diamond
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] One-Way Audio Issues
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2011 20:34:09 -0300

On Tue, Apr  5, 2011 at 00:43 (+0400), Andrew Savchenko wrote:

> Hello,

> On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 16:09:46 -0300 Jim Diamond wrote:
>> There may be some way known to many people as to how to figure out
>> what option you should hand to your sound card.  I'm not one of those
>> people, so from here you are on your own.

> There is a way, if you are compiling your kernel from the sources.
> You may compile all Intel HDA submodules as different kernel modules,
> then you may load them separately and decide which one suits better
> for your hardware (though, a default kernel's choise is usually the
> best). Some of these modules have their own options, you may learn
> what they mean using modinfo and by digging the kernel docs.

> Afterwards you may put desired options into modprobe.conf or
> recompile your kernel to include only a desired submodule and provide
> additional options (if any) via the kernel options string using your
> boot loader. (I personally prefer not to use modules for the built-in
> hardware and compile all necessary code directly into the custom
> kernel.)

Andrew,

thanks for the reply.

If it were only that easy...

modinfo does not tell me that there is a 'fujitsu' option for my card.
Poking around in
        /usr/src/linux-2.6.37.5/Documentation/sound/alsa/HD-Audio-Models.txt
I see there are only seven options for my card (ALC269) listed, so I guess
with some patience and testing I could find out whether one of the
other options works even better.  Mind you, in
        /usr/src/linux-2.6.37.5/sound/pci/hda/patch_realtek.c
there are 10 models listed, but I guess if I can't specify each one
individually it doesn't really matter how many models there are.

However, you are right that if someone wants to dig far enough, they
can discover what the options are for their card and try it out.  But
I think it is a shortcoming that a user (who might not be as
kernel-savvy as you, or at all kernel-savvy) needs to do something
like this to figure out how to make his or her sound card work
correctly.

I've never had to do anything like this for any other type of sound
card I've used.  But maybe I was missing out all that time.

Cheers.
                                Jim