Re: [Linphone-users] ...lost in configuration...

From: Liviu Andronic
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] ...lost in configuration...
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 13:00:43 +0100

On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 05:54:40 +0100, Custom Processing Unlimited <address@hidden> wrote:

ok, I have signed up for two different linphone sip accounts... I have not
been able to get linphone setup with either of these accounts on the
softphone for Linux, Android or Blackberry... I am at a total loss for
figuring out what I'm doing wrong... Could someone PLEASE outline, as simply as possible, exactly HOW I configure this softphone with its companion SIP
service?  Documentation on configuration is sincerely lacking on the site
and I am being endlessly frustrated by this.
Yup! This just about sums up my first experience with Linphone. :) To configure a SIP account, first make sure that ipv6 is disabled (if you didn't touch it, it's OK). Then enter:
SIP identity: "sip:address@hidden"
SIP Proxy: "sip:sip.linphone.org"

@Simon: Some sort of tutorial or FAQ entry for the desktop version would come very handy to newcomers. Even better, please simplify the process of adding a new SIP account: - the "sip:" part is utterly useless since Linphone does only SIP. This helps only to confuse newcomers - specifying twice "sip.linphone.org" is also unnecessary. At the very least the SIP Proxy part should be made optional, and clearly labelled so.

Thus adding a new SIP account in Linphone can be as simple as specifying:
SIP identity: "address@hidden"

while the password is being asked later. This is the only info asked in Jitsi (formerly SIP Communicator), and I must admit that it's much more intuitive.

Let me know what you think. Cheers
Liviu