Re: [Linphone-users] Newbee: nothing works

From: Nikolai Cassanova
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] Newbee: nothing works
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 09:33:28 -0500

Okay, I didn't know that you were trying to accomplish, free phone calling through sip, in that case, i think i might have a set up that includes google voice that can get you making and receiving little lag, as you said that your internet on both devices is fine, so I don't think its your internet that is causing lag, but your set up, unless your not getting 3g and is on edge network instead of 3g, that might be the reason there would be lag, but since i am always making and receiving calls over 3g through sip with the help of google voice and sipdroid.  My phone is a htc magic/sapphire or mytouch 3g (android version 2.2.1 with cyanogenmod 6.1) and i am on the tmobile network.  So it can't be android, as I would be having the same problems as you are having.

If your interested in my setup what i did is this:

Google Voice to IPKall (provides free DID number which is a virtual number that you will use as a forwarding phone in google voice) to (any sip provider you want but in our case we will use pbxes.org)

Okay thats my setup and don't worry everything I wrote in that order is all free, so first go to google voice and just sign in with your gmail address and password to make sure your registered in google voice.  Then go to IPKall and sign up and get a number as they will provide you with a free number that is based in Washington in the United States (hope your based in the states or Canada b/c then this might not work as google might block your ip address since it only provides free phone calling to USA and I think Canada.)  Take down not of the number that IPKall gives you and then go back to google voice and then put that number that you got into forwarding phone that is located in voice setting.  Hopefully google voice will verify that number, if it doesn't that just mean that someone else that has google voice and is trying to do the same thing your doing used that same ipkall number, as if a user of ipkall signs up and doesn't use ipkall, ipkall kicks that user off and then takes the number and gives it another new user, but don't worry u won't have to remember this number is only the bridge between google voice and your sip provider.  As ipkall job is to then forward your call from google voice to your sip address.

Okay next after you have your ipkall number verified go to sipdroid and download the latest sipdroid 2.01 i think it is, from android market, as after it is downloaded and start app, i believe there is an option to sign up for a free pbxes.org account that will set up google voice with your pbxes.org, so you can place calls or make outgoing calls through google voice from sipdroid by just dialing a number or sip address and hitting send in sipdroid.  After you do that your pbxes account will automatically be setup but you should then go on laptop and sign into pbxes just to make sure it is up.

Then go to ipkall and now you have to put in your info for sip phone number and sip proxy, your phone number will be everything b/4 the @ symbol.  so if your sip address is address@hidden, then in the space where you see sip phone number you should type 123hty.  Then put in sip proxy and password and email address.

That should do it you are then all set to make and receive calls free through your tablet and smart phone, but to do a test call your google voice number and see if your sip client rings, i would use a sip client like ekiga off my computer as a test and it should ring.

Let me know if this helps and sorry for the essay.