[Linphone-users] Re: LinPhone's accessibility

From: Petr Pisar
Subject: [Linphone-users] Re: LinPhone's accessibility
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:00:25 +0000 (UTC)

On 2010-08-31, André L  Baldo <address@hidden> wrote:
> I heard, in a list that talks about accessible programs for blind people
> who use screen readers, that in Linux, LinPhone is accessible. (The list
> is managed by the people who made Vinux, Linux for Visually impaired
> people).

Linphone uses GTK+ library as graphical toolkit. GTK+ has support for
screen readers implemented in ATK library. I don't know whether
programmer must link applicatian against ATK explicitely. I tested it
with Firefox _on Linux_ and it worked.

> My question is:
> Will LinPhone ever be accessible for Windows? I tried it out with Jaws
> for Windows - the screen reading program for Windows - and could not
> access its menus.

I don't know. Try to ask GTK+ developers. I think the library must
contain some hooks for windows accessibility interface to get Jaws to
work with the application. Again, I don't know current state of Windows
port of GTK+.

-- Petr