Re: [Linphone-users] HT-Proxy and Linphone (HTTP-Tunneling)

From: Mitch Davis
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] HT-Proxy and Linphone (HTTP-Tunneling)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 23:51:04 +1000

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 5:41 PM, Sebastian Wagner <address@hidden> wrote:

> I would like to know if there are plans or started implementation for
> HTTP-Tunneling in Linphone.
>
> Anyway: HTTP-Tunneling is a quite common (and comfortable) way of
> bypassing the firewall

One problem with doing this is that HTTP uses TCP, which is a
"reliable" protocol.  That is, the protocol doesn't pay special
attention to getting packets delivered on time, rather, it focuses on
getting *all* packets delivered, in order.  This isn't a great idea
when one is carrying live voice, because for time-critical
applications like voice, it's better to drop a few packets than to
hold everything up and be 100% reliable.  Most voice and video codecs
are designed with this in mind, and can somewhat conceal some missed
packets.

It may be easy to tunnel HTTP, and it may be possible to do live voice
over HTTP, but in general, HTTP is the wrong tool for the job.

(Disclaimer: I know little in this area, this is just what I've read)

Mitch.