[Linphone-users] Please include native support for PulseAudio

From: Xavion
Subject: [Linphone-users] Please include native support for PulseAudio
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 14:58:03 +1000

I've already read the previous thread about PulseAudio, which took place months before I joined this mailing list.  I'm reopening the debate, since one aspect wasn't previously covered.

I've instructed my computer to automatically route OSS through ALSA and ALSA through PulseAudio.  This seems to cause the unwanted loss of some initial audio packets in some applications.

For example, while I'm talking to someone via Linphone, I might hear them say 'correct' instead of what they actually said ('incorrect').  I've used this extreme case to illustrate the confusion that can be caused when the beginnings of words are truncated.

In my experience, this problem usually goes away when the application gets native support for PulseAudio.  Mainly for this reason, I'm hoping that Linphone will do the same.  People have whined about PulseAudio in the past, but I think it's great these days.