Re: [Linphone-users] beta available

From: Simon Morlat
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] beta available
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 12:19:44 +0200

>         Regarding the topic below, I cannot find any documentation on
>         the phone hardware. I have an HTC MyTouch 3g, but I think all
>         phones have AEC in speaker mode.
AEC is unfortunately not activated when capturing audio from the phone.

>         Could this be related to the fact that phone companies want to
>         discourage VOIP usage on mobile phones?
No I don't think so . The Iphone has an excellent audio capture/playback
layer with echo cancelation.
I think the problem is with android, that has a poorly designed audio
backend (AudioFlinger).

>         Maybe that's why Skype mobile is using a regular phone call on
>         the mobile phone instead of VOIP. They recently discontinued
>         Skype mobile...
The problem is more with 3G networks that are a bit under-dimensionned.
This will necessarily improve.
About skype, it is just because they had an arrangement with a USA
operator.