[Linphone-users] Re: Does mediastreamer ilbc work for anyone on Linux am

From: Felix Lechner
Subject: [Linphone-users] Re: Does mediastreamer ilbc work for anyone on Linux amd64?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 06:50:17 +0800

I can confirm this problem.  ILBC allows only receiving audio but no
transmitting of my own voice.  I compiled msilbc-2.0.0.tar.gz from the
savannah website using the instructions in the package.

My linphone version is 3.1.2-2ubuntu2 from the Canonical repository.
Ubuntu disabled the ILBC codec due to licensing issues.  My system is
Ubuntu karmic x86_64.  I also have the Medibuntu archives enabled and
installed the non-free libopal version 3.6.4-1 from
http://snapshots.ekiga.net/snapshots/debian, but do not think that
plays into the problem.  My version of libavcodec52 is
4:0.5+svn20090706-2ubuntu3.

After installing the development versions of several libraries (to get
their pkg-config files) the configure scripts for ilbc-rfc3951 and
msilbc-2.0.0 completed without problems.  After compiling each, I ran
"sudo make install".

In a first attempt, I used --prefix=/usr/local to keep the plugins
outside my apt-managed installation.  I set a link from
/usr/local/lib/libmsilbc.0 to /usr/lib when "linphonec -d 6"
complained about a library-not-found error.  I made calls from my
Gizmo5/sipphone account, but my audio did not transmit even though I
could hear the called party.  Everything worked fine when the ILBC
codec was disabled.

In a second attempt I used --prefix=/usr, as suggested in the source
module, since that is the linphone location on Ubuntu.  The symptoms
were the same.

I should also point out that, for both prefix locations, I manually
changed the permissions of include/ilbc as well as lib/mediastreamer
and lib/mediastreamer/plugins to go+rx.  My experience with linphone
is limited, but from browsing the debug messages the program seemed to
load okay.

I did not call any echo servers like the previous poster.

Is anybody using the ILBC codec?  Any hints on how to successfully
compile ILBC for linphone would be much appreciated.

Sincerely
Felix Lechner