Re: [Linphone-users] hello

From: Alastair Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] hello
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 21:19:19 +0100

I'm copying this to the list in case I've forgotten something important. I
don't use ubuntu, and rarely use the linphone GUI. I've never used it for
video either.

I assume you've already installed linphone using apt-get or synaptic, and just
need advice on configuration. The defaults should be fine for most settings,
and the quick startup guide should cover most of the things you need to set:
        http://www.linphone.org/index.php/eng/getting_started

Depending on how you connect to the internet you may need to change the 'NAT
and Firewall' settings to specify your external IP address, or to specify a
STUN server. Most SIP providers will specify their STUN server in their
settings information, so use whichever they suggest if needed. There are some
other potential networking complications, but we can ignore those unless you
run into them.

Most SIP providers have an echo test number that you can call to make sure
everything is working. If it doesn't work then you can ask for more help.

Good luck!