Re: [Linphone-users] linphone and traditional calls

From: Al Johnson
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] linphone and traditional calls
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 12:19:08 +0100

On Wednesday 16 April 2008 08:44:07 Salvatore Del Popolo wrote:
> Hello,
> I would like to know, if with linphone, it is possible to make a call,
> not using a SIP address, but a traditional PSTN number.
> Thank you for your help
> Ciao
> Salvo

Linphone can do this the same way as any other SIP phone. You will need a SIP
to PSTN gateway service of some sort to do this. Most SIP providers will do
this, and will charge you for the PSTN calls. They will also give you a PSTN
number and forward calls for that number to your SIP phone. I have used
SipGate for this, but there are many other providers. Alternatively you can
run your own gateway with asterisk, callweaver or similar. Trixbox is
probably the easiest way to set this up. To do this you will need some sort
of PSTN to PC adapter, the type depending on whether you have an analogue or
ISDN phone line.