[Linphone-users] Re: establishing call across network using Linphone 1.1

From: Petr Pisar
Subject: [Linphone-users] Re: establishing call across network using Linphone 1.1.0
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 08:42:58 +0000 (UTC)

On 2006-11-29, Vidhya Venkat <address@hidden> wrote:
> Can anyone tell me whether linphone1.1.0 is capable
> of connecting to another soft VoIP phone which uses sip protocol.

If possible try the latest version (1.5.1 now).

> If so, how
> can i make call to the destination VoIP instument number?? Can anyone of you
> tell me the format of the "call < sip address> " command??

You can use "call sip:address@hidden". It is possible to use some
abbreviated notations but this is general one.

> Do i have to enable any features in linphone code to achieve this?

No.

> i read in some article that "sip:address@hidden;user=phone"
> could be used for SIP URL with a global phone number. can this format be
> used?

The string between "sip:" and "@: is a user name without any internal
structure from point of view of SIP protocol. But a lot of companies
structures it as a phone number beacuse they use hardware phones with
10-button keypad.

There exists special URI called "tel:" which is optimised for dialing
by international phone numbers. Linphone can hadle this too, but it uses
malformed schema. It uses "sip: <international_phone_number>". You can
try it but it requires special DNS records for given number. You

-- Petr