[Linphone-users] adding G726-40,32,24,16 dynamic PT codecs to oRTP

From: Dimitris Tsaimos
Subject: [Linphone-users] adding G726-40,32,24,16 dynamic PT codecs to oRTP
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 15:39:21 +0200

Hello everybody,

I am currently trying to develop an RTP application running in the Coyote development board. For voice encoding and decoding I am using the Intel DSR2.5 software. I also use oRTP to send and receive RTP packets.

What I would like to do is to embody support for the G726 codec flavors to oRTP. I have already edited the files payloadtype.h and avprofile.c as follows

avprofile.c:

PayloadType payload_type_g726_40={
   TYPE( PAYLOAD_AUDIO_CONTINUOUS),
   CLOCK_RATE(8000),
   BITS_PER_SAMPLE(5),
   ZERO_PATTERN(NULL),
   PATTERN_LENGTH(0),
   NORMAL_BITRATE(40000),
   MIME_TYPE ("G726-40")
};

PayloadType payload_type_g726_32={
   TYPE( PAYLOAD_AUDIO_CONTINUOUS),
   CLOCK_RATE(8000),
   BITS_PER_SAMPLE(4),
   ZERO_PATTERN(NULL),
   PATTERN_LENGTH(0),
   NORMAL_BITRATE(32000),
   MIME_TYPE ("G726-32")
};

PayloadType payload_type_g726_24={
   TYPE( PAYLOAD_AUDIO_CONTINUOUS),
   CLOCK_RATE(8000),
   BITS_PER_SAMPLE(3),
   ZERO_PATTERN(NULL),
   PATTERN_LENGTH(0),
   NORMAL_BITRATE(24000),
   MIME_TYPE ("G726-24")
};

PayloadType payload_type_g726_16={
   TYPE( PAYLOAD_AUDIO_CONTINUOUS),
   CLOCK_RATE(16000),
   BITS_PER_SAMPLE(2),
   ZERO_PATTERN(NULL),
   PATTERN_LENGTH(0),
   NORMAL_BITRATE(16000),
   MIME_TYPE ("G726-16")

payloadtype.h

extern PayloadType payload_type_g726_40;
extern PayloadType payload_type_g726_32;
extern PayloadType payload_type_g726_24;
extern PayloadType payload_type_g726_16;

When I try to set up a conversation with the SIPURA ATA using any of the above codecs, I get annoying noise.... - which could be due to further modifications needed to the oRTP lib or some internal imlementation error, that is what I am trying to find out. However, my code works just fine with ALL static PT codecs -G711, G729a.G723. Are there any further modifications that should be applied to oRTP to support the aforementioned codecs?

Additionally, the RTP payload type of theses codecs is determined by the call stack and should be decided on a per call basis. Could anybody tell me - preferrably using an example - what are the functions I should call in order to perform such a task?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Dimitris

--