Re: [Linphone-users] sound output issue

From: Daniel Schregenberger
Subject: Re: [Linphone-users] sound output issue
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 18:10:07 +0200

On Mit, 2004-05-19 at 10:52, Olivier Kaloudoff wrote:
[...]
> I'm running osx, and would love to have esoud daemon or jackit sound
> server support included, too.
>
> >As I'm not a programmer it would be very hard for me trying to implement
> >this. But I would be glad to contribute.
>
> I have not much skills in C programming, but esound author says that it's
> trivial to implement esound support in an application that opens /dev/dsp.
>
> Unfortunatelly, the esound API is not well documented
> (www.tux.org/~ricdude/dbdocs/esound_api.html)
>
> I'm currently trying to play with esd command line utilities (like esdcat,
> esdrec), to understand the way they work, and maybe be able to patch
> linphone later.
>
> Let's take a look at jackit, that seems to have more documentation..

Jackit has a very simple interface.
The only thing that might be hard is: it's callback-driven and not
loop-driven like OSS style sound output.

There comes a very simple example with jack, that should give you all
the information needed.

-- Daniel

PS: Jack would make it possible to have conferences with multiple people
at once easily, since it takes care of all the mixing...