[Linphone-users] One way sound on RedHat 9, SB Live + feature requests

From: Tom Poindexter
Subject: [Linphone-users] One way sound on RedHat 9, SB Live + feature requests
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 04:52:11 +0000

Hi Simon,

Thanks for Linphone - it looks to be a nice piece of work, except that I
can only receive audio, not send.  My system is RedHat 9, with a
Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 08), and I use the stock (OSS-based)
drivers:

Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
emu10k1                69064   1 (autoclean)
ac97_codec             14600   0 (autoclean) [emu10k1]
sound                  74228   0 (autoclean) [emu10k1]
soundcore               6436   7 (autoclean) [emu10k1 sound]

I've tried both 'mic' and 'line' inputs, and neither allow me to send audio.
Any help is appreciated.  I'd rather not have to install the ALSA drivers -
I'm looking for a nice soft-phone for a group of people on RedHat 8 and 9,
and upgrading everyone would be a big hassle.  I took a cursory look at
the sound api's in mediastreamer/*, and don't see and glaring problems.
I'll dig some more.

There are a few things I would suggest as additions to your feature list,
some are relatively easy.

1. Alpha labels on the dialpad: 2-'abc', 3-'def', 4-'ghi' etc.   'q' on 7 and
   'z' on 9.  Some voice services I would want to connect with requires
   entering names via the 'alpha' chacters on the dialpad.

2. DTMF feedback - it would be nice to have an option of hearing DTMF tones
   as pressed on the dialpad.  A checkbox of enabling feedback would be nice.

3. Asterisk mode - I'm trying to use linphone with Asterisk, I will assume you
   are familiar with it  (www.asterisk.org).  It would be nice from linphone
   to enable an 'asterisk' mode that allows dialing by pressing some DTMF
   digits, then press 'Call'.  For example, if I wish to dial extension '1234'
   on the asterisk server, the sip url would be translated to
   'sip:address@hidden'   A config entry would allow me to
   name the Asterisk server.  With 'asterisk mode' enabled, the dialpad
   should be displayed by default.

Best regards,
Tom
--