[Linphone-users] linphone on a specific IP address

From: Jason A. Pattie
Subject: [Linphone-users] linphone on a specific IP address
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:05:49 -0600

Hello,

I have a specific setup where I connect to my work's network using a VPN with a Virtual IP inside the office network's IP range. The firewall is setup to proxy ARP requests for the Virtual IP so traffic originating from the internal network gets routed to the firewall and encrypted and sent to my workstation at home.

The reason I'm writing all this is because it doesn't seem that linphone has the ability to specify the IP address of the 'Contact:' portion of a SIP REGISTER event. I've watched the traffic go from my workstation at home to the SIP endpoint (using Asterisk PBX in the office), but when it attempts to send messages "back", they originate on the Asterisk machine wanting to go to my workstation's local IP address, not my workstation's Virtual IP address.

So, I put an iptables rule on the PBX system to destination NAT packets destined for my workstation's local IP address to my workstation's Virtual IP address. This caused the packets to flow properly, but then linphone crashed, and a GNOME dialog popped up telling me that linphone had crashed and to click to visit the GNOME bug report page, or something like that. Currently, linphone does not crash if I do not direct it to use the Asterisk PBX system as a registrar. But, then I cannot make calls without registering.

I did download the tarball of linphone 0.12 and attempted to find a way to cause linphone to use my Virtual IP instead of the local IP. I found the code that gets the IP address to send in the REGISTER message and replaced the calls with direct assignments to my Virtual IP address. This caused the packets to flow properly (I only compiled the linphonec console app since I couldn't find .deb packages for libgnomeui-2.0, etc.), but linphonec crashed with a Segmentation Fault error.

Thanks for your help.

believed to be clean.