Re: [Linphone-developers] How push notifications work (summary)

From: Peio Rigaux
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] How push notifications work (summary)
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 18:58:00 +0200

Hello Anatoli.

Sorry for the belated reply.

When you are not using sip.linphone.org accounts (let's say you deployed your own self-hosted Flexisip), you can't enable push notifications for the stock Linphone app.

The reason is that we have our own push keys (Apple and Google ones) set up on the sip.linphone.org instance for the Linphone app, and we do not share them for security reasons.

For customers having their own SIP accounts, we set up a Flexisip instance as a push-gateway, which relays calls and send pushes on behalf of the accounts SIP server.

We could offer you such a service for a fee.

The other way to enable push notifications for accounts not in sip.linphone.org is to set up your own app derivated from Linphone.

You are allowed to do it as long as it complies with the GPLv3, and as you are not using the visuals under trademark (logo, etc.).

Then you could set up your own push certificates for this new app, add them in your Flexisip instance, and you should have working push notifications.

The only downside is that you couldn't use end to end encrypted chat, as our LIME module isn't available under GPL license.

Regards,

Peio Rigaux

Junior DevOps Engineer
Linphone.org