Re: [Linphone-developers] MESSAGE Channel [0x7d38856a00]: inactivity tim

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] MESSAGE Channel [0x7d38856a00]: inactivity timeout reached
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2019 07:01:05 -0400

On Mon, 2019-04-15 at 11:46 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to figure out the source of high battery use of linphone-
> android and opened
>
> https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/linphone-android/issues/570
>
> to get to the bottom of it.  Ultimately it seems some kind of
> inactivity timeout in belle-sip is forcing linphone-android to send a
> REGISTER despite the "expire" time being set to 48 hours:
>
> 2019-04-14 23:46:05:006 [belle-sip] MESSAGE Channel [0x7d38856a00]:
> inactivity timeout reached.
>
> It was suggested there that I inquire here about what this inactivity
> timeout is and why it's forcing re-REGISTERs to be sent at a much
> higher frequency than the SIP expiry is configured for.
>
> Any ideas?

Nobody can comment on what this inactivity timer is all about and why
it's making it's consumer (linphone-android) re-REGISTER every hour?

I can see that it's being set to an hour here:

https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/belle-sip/blob/1d083c76be5b5959db2cc1f52a61836d8f43aa7f/src/sipstack.c#L137

But is the intention of this timeout really to force consumers to have
to re-REGISTER based on this timeout?

Perhaps the intention is that that is just the default and consumers
are expected to set their desired value with:

https://github.com/BelledonneCommunications/belle-sip/blob/1d083c76be5b5959db2cc1f52a61836d8f43aa7f/src/sipstack.c#L298-L300

Is it reasonable for a consumer, a SIP client, say, to set that timeout
equal to the user-configured SIP Expiry period?

Cheers,
b.