[Linphone-developers] Linphone v4 crashes on Linux if user data storage

From: linphone
Subject: [Linphone-developers] Linphone v4 crashes on Linux if user data storage path leaving standard home directory
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 21:44:45 +0200

Hello, I am new here! Here comes a bug report!

But first: thanks a lot for the great linphone desktop program for Linux!

concerns: Linphone Desktop 4.0 - Qt5.9.0, Core 3.11.2-158-g4c291e2

program execution command: flatpak run com.belledonnecommunications.linphone

Linux: Debian, stable, "stretch" using file system "ext4"

Situation:
With '/home/username' being for portability on a USB storage device
(pendrive), a softlink '/home/username/Downloads' directs back to a
'/home/username_bigdata/BigDownloads' directory on a stationary HDD
where there is enough space for not so urgently portable, big data.

The linphone desktop software under these circumstances crashes, because
the path directs outside of a "normal" /home/username.

The crash happens if the Preferences menu is tried to become accessed.

The crash also happens if an image received in a chat is selected.

SIP calls (audio, video, chat) work fine.

I confirmed that not the softlink being a softlink is the problem.
If softlinking to another directory inside '/home/username' on the USB
device, thus not linking outside of a "normal" /home/username, then the
software doesn't crash. It obviously crashes because a path to a
direction outside of the "normal" /home/username is in use. I can see in
the linphonerc file, that the softlink upon reading was correctly
interpreted and the actually real path
('/home/username_bigdata/BigDownloads') is configured there.

At the moment I am forced to redesign all my data storage layout, if
wanting to use linphone. Would be nice, if this could be fixed in a way
that the user data paths decided for by the user are used everywhere in
linphone, so that linphone does not dictate a file system hierarchy
which the user has to adopt to!

Best greetings!