Re: [Linphone-developers] zrtp + lime default on

From: Andrey Gursky
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] zrtp + lime default on
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 20:42:25 +0200

On Mon, 12 Jun 2017 14:21:43 -0300 william anderson wrote:

> Hi andrey,
>
> Explanation for the NON-crypto experts is listed on:
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6188
> "While AES-128 is widely regarded as more than adequately secure, some
> users may be motivated to adopt AES-192 or AES-256 due to a perceived need
> to pursue a highly conservative security strategy."

Thanks for the reference. So AES-128 is still not weak even now,
6 years later after the RFC has been posted.

BTW, if you insist on using AES-256 instead of AES-128, then maybe also
switching to HMAC-SHA256 instead of HMAC-SHA1, that is used in the RFC?

> Linphone has the possibility to use AES256 as default , but somehow (maybe
> ON PURPOSE) , they launch opensource version with the WEAK option.....
>
> Linphone has hidden and non public configurations, that only by request
> they told you. Thats not good :)

I saw these options in the GUI:
media_encryption=ZRTP
lime=mandatory