Re: [Linphone-developers] Linphone-Android spoils Unicode U+1Fxxx emoji

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] Linphone-Android spoils Unicode U+1Fxxx emoji characters
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 12:13:44 +0100

This article describes the problem quite well:
http://bitbrothers.org/blog/2013/08/jni-strings-modified-utf8-oh-my/

So the solution would be to convert the chat strings to a UTF-8 byte array (and vice versa when receiving) within the Java code.
I would send a patch, but my Java skills are close to zero.

When sending emojis in the range > 1Fxxx, they don't get properly encoded as four byte UTF8 sequences.
Setup: Fairphone 2 using latest snapshot,  SuseLeap42.2 using latest git commit

Test character:  U+1F602 😂 FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY

PC ->  Android receives correctly    f0 9f 98 82

Android V3.2.2-12:
Android ->  PC receives wrong sequence      ef bf bd  ef bf bd   (twice replacement char)
Android V3.2.2-10:
Android ->  PC receives wrong sequence     ed a0 bd ed b8 82   (surrogates D83D and DE02)