Re: [Linphone-developers] detect silence

From: Cynthia He
Subject: Re: [Linphone-developers] detect silence
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2016 14:23:58 +0000

Thanks for the reply.  We are using liblinphone (of course) and are hoping that we can somehow do this ‘conditional’ recording through liblinphone.

On Mar 12, 2016, at 4:34 AM, محيي الدين <address@hidden> wrote:

I had that problem in a project in my college years for a sound recognition, but I did not have a way to detect when I should start recording

What I did is that I recorded many times in a very quiet room and got the numeric amplitudes, then put it on OpenOffice Calc, and computed the mean and the standard deviation, so that I could decide which level I have to put as condition to start or stop recording..

This works even if you don't have any API but getting the amplitude of the sound from the microphone

I hope this would help :)

على 11 مار, 2016 ‫م 08:03، كتب Cynthia He:
We are writing an application that will record audio for all calls.  Since most of the time, users are just listening in for announcement of events, we need to be able to only record when someone is talking and stop recording when nobody is talking.

I know that I can get play volumes and if it is below certain level, it may be considered as silence.  The problem is how to detect volume has changed enough to start or stop recording.  I didn’t find a callback for that purpose.  Or do we just have to run a thread that checks for volume continuously (obviously not very efficient)?

I appreciate any help!

CynHe